My first attempt at Curry Chicken with Plantains was a success! I looove Jamaican food but its soo dang expensive here! $10 just for this meal right here and thats without a drink or desert. So I went to my favorite little helper for help on how to make this…YouTube! This photo is of a meal I packed for lunch. Curry chicken recipe with Jasmine White Rice and Plantains.
I’m going to be honest…for the plantains I didn’t even cook those babies. I bought them in a goya package put them in the microwave…they taste just the same lol. I could have made my own plantains but they bring fruit flies and those little buggers are hard to kill…if you have ever had them.
Anyway my mother and sister loved this recipe. Said it tasted way better than the restaurant and actually got mad that I didn’t make “enough” lol. I used ALL fresh ingredient..nothing came out a can except for the seasonings.
Video – How to make Jamaican Curry Chicken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR4xmsQGYD4
Video – How to Cut a whole chicken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GSK6eDr1Ks&feature=share&list=PLwX7VpYUXcoJ8Ypo1nYHkV20A0XFhXkDa
4lbs Chicken, chopped in small pieces (remove skin)
2 tbsp Lemon juice (for washing chicken)
3 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Black pepper
6 tbsp Curry powder
4 Cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/4 Small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 Small green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Large cooking onion, chopped
2 tbsp Cooking oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds, not powder (optional)
1 tsp Dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme
1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 tbsp West Indian pepper sauce (optional)
3 cups Water
2 Medium potatoes, cut in 6 pieces each
Cut and wash chicken: Cut chicken into serving pieces (not too small) and remove and discard skin. Pour lemon juice over chicken, wash in cold water, drain well and dry with paper towel
Season chicken with 2tsp salt, black pepper, 3 Tbsp of curry powder and chopped garlic;
put chicken in fridge for 1 hour to absorb spices
1. Add cooking oil to saucepan and heat on High; saute cumin seeds for 1/2 minute
then add chopped onion, green and red bell peppers,
2. Add thyme, pepper sauce, 3 Tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt and tomato ketchup; saute
onion and peppers until just tender
3. Add 1 cup of boiling water and, when sauce is boiling, add chicken. Fold in chicken until it is well covered with sauce and seasonings; add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water; cover and bring to a rolling boil
4. Lower heat to medium, add potatoes and add 1/2 cup water, cover and simmer (slow boil) until chicken is tender and sauce thickens (about 1/2 hour)
5. Taste and adjust with salt, if needed.